Garlic Day Recipe – Roasted Garlic & Spring Vegetable Salad
This simple recipe offers a huge hit of flavour and nutrition! Make this salad ahead of time and pack it for easy and convenient lunches or enjoy it as a fresh and savoury side for supper. This grain-free salad is gluten-free, dairy-free and loaded with protein! Take the salad to the next level by topping it with hemp seeds, cashews, grilled chicken or salmon, or sliced hard boiled egg.
• 1 bulb garlic
• 1 cup OJIO tricolour quinoa*
• 2 cups organic, low sodium broth of choice or water
• 1 bunch beets
• 1 bunch asparagus
• 1 bunch green onions
• 1 bunch arugula
• 1 bunch radishes
• 1 avocado
• ¼ cup oil (hemp, flax, olive or chia are great options)
• 2 tbsp honey
• 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
• Juice of 1 lemon or ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
• Salt & pepper to taste
1. Roast garlic. Start by trimming the top off the bulb to expose each clove. Drizzle with a couple tablespoons of preferred oil, wrap tightly in tin foil and bake at 400°F (205°C) for 30-35 minutes.
2. Roast beets. Wash, trim and peel beets. After cutting beets into bite-sized chunks, place on baking sheet and toss with oil of choice, salt and pepper. Bake at 400°F (205°C) for 30-35 minutes, or until fork tender. Turn once during baking.
3. Next, cook quinoa. Once broth or water has been brought to a boil, add quinoa, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed.
4. While quinoa is cooking, prepare salad dressing by adding all dressing ingredients to a mason jar and shaking. Taste and adjust ingredients to personal preference.
5. Next, shave asparagus spears into bowl, avoiding woody ends. A vegetable peeler or mandolin is helpful for this. Shave or thinly slice radishes and add to same bowl. Add in arugula and finely chopped green onion. Set bowl aside.
6. Once quinoa is cooked, spread on a parchment paper lined baking sheet to speed up cooling process. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
7. Once quinoa is cooled, add to bowl with fresh raw vegetables.
8. Once roasted garlic and beets are cooked and cooled, add beet pieces and soft garlic cloves to quinoa vegetable bowl. Mix gently.
9. Shake up dressing and add desired amount to salad.
10. Plate. Top salad with desired amount of avocado before serving.