Our newly released Spring Cleanse Protocol is a great way to “spring clean” your health and jump start new healthy habits for the rest of the year, but don’t be thrown off by the name: it’s a great detox program any time of year! As we gear up for the long weekend, we thought we’d share some tips on how to stay focused when temptation looms large. These tips will be particularly helpful during the Victoria Day Weekend, when everyone is gearing up to welcome the summer; however, they’re also helpful to keep in mind year-round!
1. Fuel up. Before you head out to that Victoria Day celebration, eat healthy foods that offer enough protein and fibre to keep you satiated and satisfied. Think smoothies or a large leafy green salad with lean protein. This is the surest way to avoid overindulging at the snack table.
2. Stay hydrated. Drinking adequate amounts of water not only makes you feel great, it keeps the body’s systems functioning optimally. Often our bodies confuse thirst for hunger so drink up to avoid accidentally overeating.
3. Communicate. Tell your friends and family about the Cleanse Protocol, explain why you are committing to the 18 day program and the reasons it is important to you to stick with it. If your loved ones are aware of your dietary/lifestyle change, they will be less likely to offer you tempting treats that will throw you off track.
4. Buddy up. Have you and your best friend been commiserating about how you’d like to cut sugar from your lives? Do you have colleagues who have expressed interest in trying a plant-based diet? Form an alliance with those who share health and wellness goals similar to yours and follow the protocol together. With a strong support system, you will be able to motivate each other and stay accountable.
5. Keep a food journal. Monitor your nutritional intake but take care not to become obsessive or restrictive. The Raw Elements Cleanse Protocol is not about caloric restriction or deprivation, it’s about enjoying whole foods in concert with three 100% natural supplements. You will feel an immense sense of reward and accomplishment when you review your journal entries and see how closely you’ve been following the protocol and how great you’re feeling!
6. Drink responsibly. The protocol recommends the total elimination of alcohol during the 18 days; however, we recognize how challenging this can be for some – particularly when it’s perfect patio weather. If you do partake, choose wine over beer and liquor, and down one glass of water for every glass of wine consumed. In addition to the impact on your blood sugar levels and liver, too much alcohol can impair your judgement, making it more difficult to overcome cravings for junk food.
7. Plan your meals in advance. Planning and preparing your food for the week ahead of time has so many benefits. In addition to helping you stay on track with the protocol, it saves you money (say goodbye to impulse buying during your lunch break) and helps you stay focused at the grocery store so you only buy the foods that fall within your plan.
8. Be realistic. If you have a snack that doesn’t jive with the Cleanse Protocol, remember that your next meal is an opportunity to get back on track. Beating yourself up will only stop you from moving forward positively. Don’t let unnecessary guilt impede your progress.
9. Get experimental. Review the foods the protocol encourages you to eat over the 18 days and have fun in the kitchen! Pushing yourself to unlock your culinary creativity and try new flavour combinations is a great way to stay engaged with the protocol. You may discover your new favourite dish or uncover cookery skills you didn’t even know you had!
10. Celebrate your successes – no matter how big or small. Learning new healthy dietary habits can be a radical transition for those who rely on processed and packaged foods. As you enjoy natural whole foods from the earth, take time to enjoy the fact that YOU made this positive change for YOUR wellbeing. You’re working towards a brighter, healthier you! What’s not to celebrate? Be sure to take a moment each day to cheer yourself on. Self-love will keep you going when cravings hit or your willpower is running low. Remember: you’ve got this!
What are your tips for staying on track with your healthy lifestyle? We’d love to pass them along to those following the Raw Elements’ Spring Cleanse Protocol! Tell us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.